Job Title: Warehouse Assistant
Location: SOFA Project warehouse
Reports to: Operations Manager
To work as part of a team under supervision in our warehouse and yard, assisting with loading and unloading of vehicles, movement of items in and out of the warehouses, and within it at all times being alert to the need for safety and for efficient operations.
1. To sign to acknowledge receipt of Manual Handling and Health and Safety instruction;
2. To provide an excellent service to SOFA Project’s donors who come in person to the warehouses, receiving domestic appliances without causing damage to the item and placing them safely in the warehouse;
3. To load and unload vehicles with appropriate care and attention to safety;
4. To move items within the warehouse safely;
5. To participate in risk assessments and to report any observed hazards and risks, and to comply with personal injury reporting requirements; and to comply with insurer’s requirements in the event of a vehicle accident;
6. To wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required, including a hi-vis tabard and steel toed at all times on our premises;
7. To carry out other duties and attend meetings and training as required commensurate with the post;
8. To adhere to all policies, rules and core principles of the SOFA Project;
9. Any other general warehouse duties required.
Essential Knowledge, skills and experience:
Of the operation of a warehouse;
Of quality service to the customer;
Of administration procedures;
Of working under pressure in a busy environment;
Literacy and numeracy skills;
Good communication skills;
Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team;
Ability to deal with a range of people and situations with tact and diplomacy.
Desirable knowledge, skills experience and values:
Of working with the public;
Of Health and Safety procedures;
Commitment to high standards of customer care;
One year’s experience in a warehouse environment;
Understanding of and commitment to equal opportunities;
An interest in reuse, recycling and rehabilitation.
If you are interested in volunteering, and are able to commit to at least 1 day per week, Please contact Nicci Peck on 0117 954 7808 or firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal chat to discuss available volunteering opportunities. Current opportunities will vary due to availability.